Chair: Narasimhan Jagannathan, MD, MBA
Maria Matuszczak, MD – Chair Elect
John Fiadjoe, MD – Immediate Past Chair & Director of the PeDI Registry Database
Pete G. Kovatsis, MD – Immediate Past Chair
Patrick N. Olomu, MD, FRCA
Clyde Matava, MD, MBChB
Franklin B. Chiao, MD
Agnes I. Hunyady, MD
Pediatric Difficult Intubation (PeDI) Registry group is a multicenter organization of anesthesiology departments dedicated to assessing, understanding and improving the outcomes of children with Difficult Direct Laryngoscopy (DDL) to facilitate benchmarking, quality improvement and research. The objectives of the group are (1) to provide site specific and aggregate data back to sites on DDL events and (2) to augment local quality improvement efforts and (3) to facilitate research studies related to DDL.
The primary emphasis of the group is collaboration. Group efforts will also encourage and promote the academic advancement of its members through scholarly productivity and organizational leadership roles. This scholarly work will include but is not limited to publications from data derived from the PeDIR group database. Any publications or reports generated through the data compiled would be cited as having come from the entire group if allowed by the target journal. Participation in this group would in no way preclude any participant from continuing their own local research projects.
We will share information on the perioperative management we provide to our patients (among all of our members) in an effort to ultimately understand how we can most efficiently and safely deliver care. Our long-term goal will be to evaluate systems of care and emulate the safest and most effective efforts that are possible with existing resources. No institution will be obligated to conform to any particular mode of anesthesia delivery or perioperative management because of their participation. All members in this organization have equal weight. The group is intended to be cooperative in nature and foster interest and understanding in the methods that are used by individuals with different points of view. We will ensure patient privacy and confidentiality. No identifying information regarding a patient will leave his /her own care facility. The efforts of this consortium should be integrated with the hospital/institutional quality assurance/improvement programs. Regular timely reports will be returned to the participating institutions concerning the work of the entire consortium. Over time the changes in perioperative management that are made in the participating institutions will be tracked and evaluated for improvements.
Recent Publications and Relevant materials
- A Retrospective Analysis of Neuromuscular Blocking Drug Use and Ventilation Technique on Complications in the Pediatric Difficult Intubation Registry Using Propensity Score Matching.Anesth Analg. 2019 Sep 18– Garcia-Marcinkiewicz AG, Adams HD, Gurnaney H, Patel V, Jagannathan N, Burjek N, Mensinger JL, Zhang B, Peeples KN, Kovatsis PG, Fiadjoe JE, von Ungern-Sternberg BS, Sommerfield D, Holmes C, Sabato S, Ravula N, Jette C, Mireles S, Matava C, Whyte S, Vega E, Yang L, Echeverry-Marin P, Pérez-Pradilla C, Polaner D, Starker E, Zieg J, Szolnoki J, Lee A, Heitmiller E, Rehman M, Fernandez A, Meserve J, McCloskey J, Dalesio N, Koka R, Greenberg R, Park R, Peyton J, Bhattacharya S, Reynolds P, Lewis I, Haydar B, Therrian M, Sarmiento L, Richtsfeld M, Belani K, Robertson S, Sathyamoorthy K, Schrock C, de Graaff J, Soneru C, Singh N, Chiao F, Taicher B, Templeton T, Castro P, Riveros Perez NR, Raman VT, Beltran R, Bhalla T, Stricker P, Lockman JL, Gálvez J, Isserman R, Struyk B, Ward C, Hsu G, Nishisaki A, Kodavatiganti R, Ramos LS, Scheu E, Watkins S, Goldfarb T, Olomu P, Szmuk P, Hopkins P, Glover C, Nguyen K, Olutoye O, Jain R, Matuszczak M, Hunyady A, Bosenberg A, Tham S, Low D, Rosas GB, Fehr J, Lee LK, Iyah I, Patel R, Gooden C; PeDI Collaborative; Members of The PeDI Collaborative
- Pediatric Airway Management in COVID-19 patients – Consensus Guidelines from the Society for Pediatric Anesthesia’s Pediatric Difficult Intubation Collaborative and the Canadian Pediatric Anesthesia Society Anesth Analg. 2020 Apr 13. Matava CT, Kovatsis PG, Summers JL, Castro P, Denning S, Yu J, Lockman JL, Von Ungern-Sternberg B, Sabato S, Lee LK, Ayad I, Mireles S, Lardner D, Whyte S, Szolnoki J, Jagannathan N, Thompson N, Stein ML, Dalesio N, Greenberg R, McCloskey J, Peyton J, Evans F, Haydar B, Reynolds P, Chiao F, Taicher B, Templeton T, Bhalla T, Raman VT, Garcia-Marcinkiewicz A, Gálvez J, Tan J, Rehman M, Crockett C, Olomu P, Szmuk P, Glover C, Matuszczak M, Galvez I, Hunyady A, Polaner D, Gooden C, Hsu G, Gumaney H, Pérez-Pradilla C, Kiss EE, Theroux MC, Lau J, Asaf S, Ingelmo P, Engelhardt T, Hervías M, Greenwood E, Javia L, Disma N, Yaster M, Fiadjoe JE; PeDI-Collaborative.
- Videolaryngoscopy versus Fiber-optic Intubation through a Supraglottic Airway in Children with a Difficult Airway: An Analysis from the Multicenter Pediatric Difficult Intubation Registry. 2017 Sep;127(3):432-440.Burjek NE, Nishisaki A, Fiadjoe JE, Adams HD, Peeples KN, Raman VT, Olomu PN, Kovatsis PG, Jagannathan N, Hunyady A, Bosenberg A, Tham S, Low D, Hopkins P, Glover C, Olutoye O, Szmuk P, McCloskey J, Dalesio N, Koka R, Greenberg R, Watkins S, Patel V, Reynolds P, Matuszczak M, Jain R, Khalil S, Polaner D, Zieg J, Szolnoki J, Sathyamoorthy K, Taicher B, Riveros Perez NR, Bhattacharya S, Bhalla T, Stricker P, Lockman J, Galvez J, Rehman M, Von Ungern-Sternberg B, Sommerfield D, Soneru C, Chiao F, Richtsfeld M, Belani K, Sarmiento L, Mireles S, Bilen Rosas G, Park R, Peyton J; PeDI Collaborative Investigators
- The efficacy of GlideScope® videolaryngoscopy compared with direct laryngoscopy in children who are difficult to intubate: an analysis from the paediatric difficult intubation registry. Br J Anaesth. 2017 Nov 1;119(5):984-992. Park R, Peyton JM, Fiadjoe JE, Hunyady AI, Kimball T, Zurakowski D, Kovatsis PG; PeDI Collaborative Investigators; PeDI collaborative investigators.
- Management of the Difficult Pediatric Airway 1st Edition by Narasimhan Jagannathan (Editor), John E. Fiadjoe (Editor) https://www.cambridge.org/core/books/management-of-the-difficult-pediatric-airway/9C353DE2CE4238B00E315F3E6E529432
Rebecca S. Isserman, Ronald S. Litman, Nicholas Burjek, Thomas Engelhardt, Andreas Machotta, Maria Matuszczak, Cheryl K. Gooden, Andrea S. Huang, Lisa E. Sohn, Suman Rao, Narasimhan Jagannathan, Paul A. Baker, Agnes I. Hunyady, James Peyton, Sarah Lee, Raymond Park, Paul Stricker, Pete Kovatsis, Rajeev Subramanyam, Mohamed Mahmoud, Jessica M. Van Beek-King, Jeffrey C. Rastatter, Patrick N. Olomu, Grace Hsu, Justin L. Lockman, Annery Garcia-Marcinkiewicz, Vivian Man-ying Yuen, Stefano Sabato, Birgitta Wong, Michael S. Kristensen, Wendy H. Teoh, Alyson Walker, Britta S. von Ungern Sternberg, Luis Sequera-Ramos, Alec Zhu, Benjamin Kiesel, Somaletha T. Bhattacharya, Aaron Donoghue, Janet Lioy, Debnath Chatterjee, Timothy M. Crombleholme, T. Wesley Templeton, Michelle Tsao, Anthony TantocoNew Projects: COVID 19 Multicenter Trial