Co-Chair: Susan M. Goobie, MD
Co-Chair: Norma K. Klein, MD
The Patient Blood Management is a Special Interest Group (PBM-SIG) organized within the Society for Pediatric Anesthesia, created by leaders in pediatric blood management and transfusion safety. These leaders recognized the need for a focus group in pediatric anesthesia due to important new developments in this field and the need for further advancement in blood conservation and management for improved outcomes for the pediatric patient.
The Mission of the SPA – Patient Blood Management SIG is:
1. Education. Organization of high-quality educational programs for national and international use.
2. Collaboration. Fostering collaboration among members of the PBM team for discussion of clinical care, education, and research for the perioperative care of pediatric patients anticipated to require blood transfusion and management.
3. Coordination. Support the PBM-SIG mission and seek interdisciplinary collaboration with other related societies with PBM interest.
4. Research. Encouraging and promoting research in the field of pediatric PBM.
5. Database. Organizing and maintaining a multi-institutional database for pediatric perioperative PBM.
6. Training. Assisting in developing and supporting guidelines for perioperative pediatric PBM for education of residents and fellows.
7. Advocacy. Advocating for high quality perioperative PBM for pediatric patients.