Chair: Sameh Nour, MD
Co-Chair: Shiu-Yi Emily Chen, MD
The purpose of a Pediatric Ambulatory Anesthesia (PAA) Special Interest Group of the Society of Pediatric Anesthesia (SPA) was created to address various issues in the environment of care for this large group of patients. Data collection and research projects regarding pediatric patients and the procedures they receive can be used in creating guidelines and standards based on evidence. When the data is not adequately robust, the consensus of experts participating in the PAA would be invaluable in defining “best practices” and articulating guidelines. The collaboration of Pediatric Anesthesiologists whose practice is focused on the Pediatric Ambulatory area is important to access the large amount of anecdotal experience from these professionals, as well as understanding the strengths and weaknesses of appropriating evidence-based decision-making and guidelines from the adult ambulatory setting and more complex in-patient Pediatric Anesthesia practice.
• The PAA group will be the central body for national and international collaboration of Pediatric Anesthesiologists whose main interest and practice is ambulatory surgery.
• The PAA group will facilitate the exchange of views and discussion among pediatric anesthesiologists in various issues related to the environment of care for pediatric patients having ambulatory surgery with anesthesia.
• The PAA group will sponsor research projects that required data collection and collaboration between physicians and institutions participating in PAA.
• The PAA group will provide resources used by Fellowship programs in Pediatric Anesthesia in enhancing the educational experiences of Fellows-in-training for eventual Pediatric Anesthesia specialization.
• The PAA group will provide a forum where guidelines, standards, consensus statements, and best practices related to PAA care could be codified by a large group of expert, experienced, and informed members.
If you are interested in joining the Pediatric Ambulatory Anesthesia (PAA) SIG, please contact the co-chairs for more information.